Friday, September 30, 2011

Lawrence Kohlberg and Heinz Dilemma

In class today we discussed the 'Heinz' dilemma. It was very interesting to hear the different viewpoint from others in the class. There were so many different opinions on what to do from a class of under 70 people. I always find this very interesting to see. It makes me think how hard it must be to be in charge of things much bigger like a premier of Alberta, or prime minister of Canada. Not everyone will ever have the same opinions on very many things. Many this is a little off topic but it's just what popped into my head.

When answering the question of what do do in that dilemma, I found my overwhelming answer would be to steal the drug. If I can help the ones I love in any way I will usually do it. As I've mentioned before, I have spent nights in the hospital with my cousin, or picked my sister up from a friends house at 4:30 in the morning, when I am comfy and warm in my bed. I know those examples are different from actually going as far as stealing, but in terms of those I love, I would do almost anything for them. Our group discussed this a lot and the overall consensus was the same as mine. We took into consideration things like age, or situations as well. I believe that a good parent would stop at nothing to save their child. I realize in this scenario it is his wife, and I believe the same for true love. I like what was mentioned from supporters of the other side of the coin, but it did not manage to sway my opinion.

In class we also started to discuss Kohlberg's theory on moral development. I enjoyed what was mentioned in regards to Kohlberg, that he took a cognitive look at moral development, not just from behaviors or emotional actions. I also found it very interesting that many of his ideas and theories stemmed from Piaget's theory. Its hard to pinpoint why someone might do something, but its an interesting and necessary before you judge someone else's personal choices. Sometimes I find myself wondering why someone would do something that to me seems completely ridiculous, but what I need to understand and come to realize is that they are at a different stage than my own in their developments, and that I am not necessarily right in my actions either.

We also learned about the process of internalization which was interesting because it was along the same lines as some of the topics that we discussed in my Anthropology class. We were discussing meaning yesterday. We discussed reasoning behind actions, and how or why people from different cultures may act in a way that does not fit in with our culture right now. Not directly the same as it, but it made a connection in my mind I guess. :)

I really do not know what stage to place myself in. I do not yet completely understand them well enough. I do think that maybe in certain things I may be in the 3rd stage but in others I am not quite there. I also think of the discussion in class today that got quite heated. What I wonder is this: Are certain students at a certain maturity of this development and others at a different stage because of what they said, or does it take into consideration why we choose what we chose. Hmmm.... I think I have some weekend readings ahead of me to figure it all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment