Friday, September 23, 2011

Being a wise consumer of Information

We all grow up being bombarded with information left, right and centre. We are told ideas and blunt viewpoints from both sides of the spectrum. No matter where we turn this will always be the case, so what I need to learn is how to better be a consumer of information. We watched a film in class about the use of exercise to help the brain and how it is being used in schools. Being totally honest I believe this study 100%, I have seen results in being physically active verses not doing school.  I have seen first hand my grades start to slump because I am too fidgety in class.  But what this lesson in general has shown me is that I am too quick to believe and buy into information that has a statistic behind it.
My mom always said when we were growing up that “there are two sides to everything” so don’t believe everything you hear. She was roommates with a girl her age in university when her roommate’s parents and younger brother were killed in an airplane crash. The Edmonton Journal reported this accident incorrectly which has in turn affected her friend and my mom so I understand why she always told us to hear both sides. That is a fairly extreme example of this case, but important to remember when information comes my way.  
Also, information can sometimes actually be correct to an extent but not to extent that it may claim. In this video, the teachers in both Saskatoon and Chicago saw results, but maybe in another instance it may not have been so effective. The study was also done on a very particular group of students which may or may not include students in a regular school, or the students in a regular school may not see the same results.  Always look at information presented from more than one perspective, and where it’s coming from and possibly why it’s coming from that source.

No comments:

Post a Comment