Friday, September 23, 2011

Better late than never

September 11.2011

So it took me a little bit of time to finally re-figure out how do this blogging concept and everything.
Beginning of this class we learned about effective teaching.  We were given a list of aspects of the teaching profession:
  1. Teaching involves social and ethical matters
  2. Teaching involves multicultural students
  3. Subject matter competence
  4. Professional Skills
  5. Commitment
  6. Professional Growth
Within this list we were given examples that outlined and defined these aspects. One of the things said that really stood out to me was "Teaching is messy even though it seems easy on paper". That is so true. When I look around our class alone I see so many different learning styles, backgrounds, and possible home lives. There are most likely mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, big sisters, little sisters, etc that alone have so much impact on how you go about your daily life like; Should I attend my little brothers 16th birthday party and then have to stay up all night doing homework? or should I miss it and do homework that needs to be done also? Questions and dilemmas like this affect me every weekend. As all my family lives up by Edmonton, I usually choose to go home on weekends which then forces me to work extra hard all week and then have the weekend free, and be scrambling to get things done Sunday night, or do I stay home alone and end up wishing I was at home anyways.
Another way things get messy being a teacher is learning styles. Research has been so helpful in the teaching field to help understand why a certain child learns one way and another learns in a completely different way.  It seems almost impossible to grasp how to teach so many different ways...and to do it effectively.  This baffles my mind.

Another interesting thought mentioned was “We as teachers must not only be tolerant of multicultural students but excited." I grew up in a very small town, with a very 'white' school. I grew up being with many different races and cultures because of my dad's job, but many of the kids I went to school with were very racist against anything that wasn't the same as themselves. To be completely honest I never really stood up for anything unless it was out of hand and this is where the ' not only tolerant but excited' part of that thought comes into play. I like to think that I've grown up a lot since then, but I know I have a lot more of this to do. My minor is in aboriginal studies and when I finish I would like to be working in Aboriginal communities, and so a zeal for teaching everyone from every kind of upbringing is what I most want to strive for!

Subject matter competence "It’s only apparent in its absence"- this too stuck out to me. I have sat in class with a Biology teacher, trying to teach computer class. Or a math class with a English Major. It makes it that much harder for students to truly learn the subject matter when they too are learning it for themselves. In the Alberta Education system right now it is very hard to find jobs, and some are willing to take almost anything with a pay check, but if you aren't willing to put in the time so you can teach competently, then you shouldn't be there. I want to store this thought in my memory. Put the students learning, before my personal wants or desires!

Finally Commitment and Professional Growth!! "BE THERE WHEN YOUR THERE! Don't be thinking of your weekend plans, summer vacation, etc. I need to be there 100%. And professional growth- take criticism seriously. Meaning, if you receive helpful hints or constructive criticism... take it to heart and use it. It is essential for growth as a teacher and could be the make it or break it factor for your year.

No comments:

Post a Comment