Friday, November 18, 2011

Final Blog Post

Today at midnight is officially our last time to but blog posts for marks, so I was reviewing over what this assignment has done for me. When you sit in class and absorb information, its easy to just it slide right out from under our feet and leave our minds completely, but having this assignment has been so benefitical in so many ways. It causes you to think back to what you learned, how it made you feel and how to use that information. Also, having it here makes it easy to go and look up something you learned in class that might jog your memeory to remember that class more strongly even if it wasn't all written down ont he post.  I have also found that when you put serious effort into thinking about what you learned, it causes you to think about what you learned in a deeper context and in a more abstract way. By looking over my blog entries I was noticed that I often go off my supoosed topic on to tangents that what I started writing about caused me to think of. This is prime example of deeper learning. It takes more work to think about thinking than simply answer a question or two, and so this deeper thinking has given me a groundwork for my education right now and in the future and has caused me to look back on what I learned, how I learned and the teacher I want to become!!!

This is something that a friend of mine on facebook put up on her wall. Read the whole thing, it seems offputting at first but its really quite a good point that is being made.


Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do ... babysit! That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time or any time they spend before or after school ... That would be $19.50 a day ............ (7:45 to 3:00 with 45 min. .........off for lunch and planning. That equals 6 1/2 hours). Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to babysit their children. Now, how many students do they teach in a day ... maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year! I'm not going to pay them for any vacations. LET'S SEE ... That's $585 X 180 = $105,300 per year. Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries. What about those special education teachers and the ones with Masters degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year. Wait a minute -- there's something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher's salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students = $9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student -- a very inexpensive baby sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!! WHAT A DEAL!!

Make a teacher smile, re-post this to show appreciation and support for teachers.....most of whom just want this strike settled, with language regarding class size and composition restored! Teachers teach because they love children!!
Posted in support of all my teacher friends

No comments:

Post a Comment